Monday, March 17, 2008

My thoughts on the 5th anniversary of the war in Iraq

Last Saturday there was a vigil to mark the 5th anniversary of the war in Iraq. There were about 80 people there. Unlike many of them, I held no sign because I wasn’t there to protest the war. I was there to acknowledge that people (Iraqi and US citizens and soldiers) were dying in my name.

Regardless of my own personal views of the war, I was saddened to see not one single person there who supported the war. So many people who are pro-war and anti “cut and run” claim that we can’t pull out because we need to support the troops. Why were they not there that day? Why couldn’t even one supporter leave the comfort of their homes and sacrifice some time to recognize the great sacrifice that is being made in name of their government and therefore their name?

This indifferent attitude towards the soldiers is the greatest form of betrayal by those who have sent them into harms way.

No comments: